Knit On…

“Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises,” said the Great Elizabeth Zimmermann.

A couple of weeks ago I signed up for YogaGlo, determined to meditate and do yoga everyday. I’ve used it three times- 35 minutes total. The reality is, I just need to knit. Everyday. It’s my own sanctuary. My own meditation. And it works- every time.

Most people talk about how hard teaching is because of the time, money or wrangling involved. But for me, it’s the stories. The real, heartbreaking stories of our students make teaching so hard.

There are heartwarming stories as well, like the student who FINALLY read a whole book to younger kids and I saw his confidence swell and we both nearly burst with pride.

When I don’t have the stories front of mind, knitting.

So, I’ll cancel YogaGlo. Again. And make knitting the priority. It’s the self care that gets me through the tragic stories of our students.

6 thoughts on “Knit On…

1. I love that knitting is your self care and I love the quote. I am an inconsistent knitter but your slice is reminding me to get back to it. I find it peaceful and centering too.

2. I think I worry about my students more than my own kids! My self care is yoga. Maybe I’ll pick up the knitting needles and give it a try.

3. I think knitting is very meditative. It’s so important that we find what works for us. And yes to everything you say about carrying the stories.